At LeoTech, we are passionate about building software that solves real-world problems in the Public Safety sector. Our software has been used to help the fight against continuing criminal enterprises, drug trafficking organizations, identifying financial fraud, disrupting sex and human trafficking rings and focusing on mental health matters to name a few.
As a Technical Engineering Manager, you will lead a team of frontend and backend engineers responsible for mission-critical features that empower public safety professionals in real-time decision-making.
You have a strong systems background and place a high emphasis on technical excellence, which you use to lead the team to well-engineered and long-lasting solutions.
You will participate in engineering, design reviews, and code reviews, as well as contribute to the overall project.
You genuinely care about your employees, investing in their personal development and assisting them in optimizing their contribution to the company. You enjoy training, coaching, and mentoring people in a variety of subject areas and skills.
- The Technical Engineering Manager will be instrumental in understanding product requirements thoroughly. They will lead detailed ticket breakdowns and closely coordinate with the development, product, and QA teams to ensure the timely delivery of high-quality solutions with both technical and business objectives.
- The application team is responsible for building and maintaining critical search and analytics features based on unstructured data. Your primary goal, along with your team's, is to implement features that help improve insights from this data, enhancing our end users' decision-making capabilities.
- Lead a 4-6 person team of engineers and help accelerate their growth by providing thoughtful feedback, technical mentorship and effectively managing their performance.
- Foster an environment of iterative improvement and rapid adaptation to changing business and product needs. Utilizing tools like JIRA for project management, you will streamline task allocation, track progress, and ensure transparency across all stages of product development.
- Conduct regular knowledge transfer sessions to ensure sufficient redundancy/overlap within your team.
- Identify and develop leaders within the teams, providing mentorship and coaching to help them succeed.
- Collaborate across teams to develop and translate strategies into plans and schedules and promote collaborations between engineering teams and stakeholders to put them into action.
What We Value
- 6+ years of experience in software engineering or a similar role, plus 2 years of leadership experience.
- You should have deep and hands-on experience in API design, be familiar with deployment processes, understand how each feature affects our platform, and possess a comprehensive knowledge of the overall system architecture.
- Proficiency in ReactJS (or similar Frontend Frameworks) and a track record of spearheading application teams that leverage modern UI frameworks to create innovative front-end solutions.
- Demonstrated success in mentoring and accelerating the progress of your reports, as well as being a team multiplier.
- Demonstrated expertise in leading cross-team engineering activities from requirements analysis and scoping to shipping and operating in production.
- Ability to work well with various departments within the company, such as engineering, data science, business development, and information security.
- Should possess a high-level understanding of Machine Learning, particularly NLP, and its power in solving specific challenges and elevating our product's capabilities.
- Demonstrated experience leading and collaborating with off-shore teams, ensuring synchronization across time zones and cultures.
- Essential for this role is excellent project management skills, ensuring timely delivery, resource optimization, and seamless execution across both on-shore and off-shore teams.
- Ability to lead a fast-paced product development team across many locations and time zones, as well as react quickly to changes in priorities.
Technologies We Use
- We are hosted on AWS Cloud and use numerous AWS services (Server and Serverless).
- Our backend languages primarily consist of Elixir, NodeJS and Python.
- We extensively use Elasticsearch, AWS Aurora and Apache Kafka for our search and analytics needs.
- TypeScript and React are central to our front-end development.
- Terraform, CloudFormation, Ansible are leveraged for our Infrastructure deployment and automation.
- Industry-standard build tooling and CI/CD using Jenkins, CodePipeline and GitHub.
- Playwright test automation framework for end-to-end testing.
- Custom models along with Huggingface and AWS SageMaker for our ML needs.
- A mix of open-source and proprietary technologies that are tailored to the problems at hand.
What You Can Expect
- Enjoy great team camaraderie whether at our Irvine CA office, Austin TX office, or working remotely.
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment with challenging problems to solve.
- Modern technologies and tools.
- Continuous learning environment.
- Opportunity to communicate and work with people of all technical levels in a team environment.
- Grow as you are given feedback and incorporate it into your work.
- Be part of a self-managing team that enjoys support and direction when required.
- 3 weeks of paid vacation – out of the gate!!
- Matching 401(k).
- Competitive Salary.
- Generous medical, dental, and vision plans.
- Sick, and paid holidays are offered.
- Stand/ sit workstations at our amenity-rich office in Irvine, CA.
- Casual environment.
- Kitchen stocked with snacks and drinks on site.
- Hybrid and Remote options are available
- Work with talented and collaborative co-workers.
$170,000 - $195,000 a year
Please note the national salary range listed in the job posting reflects the new hire salary range across levels and U.S. locations that would be applicable to the position. The final salary will be commensurate with the candidate's accepted hiring level and work location. Also, this range represents base salary only and does not include equity, or benefits if applicable.
LeoTech is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or another legally protected status.